Wednesday, October 13, 2010

A Life in the Theater

Last night I got a call from my friend Matt at around 6:15.

Any chance you can be at Broadway and 45th by 8:00 for a premiere?
A friend of his is the assistant to a Broadway Producer and scored him some comped tickets for one or two of the shows opening this week. At first I wasn't really interested in schlepping into the City so I took all the info down and called one or two of my friends who live in Manhattan and asked them if they were interested.

Then I'm sitting there looking at my little post-it note that says A Life in the Theater starring Patrick Stewart and TR Knight and I thought, what the hell am I thinking?! I can't pass up Patrick Stewart LIVE.

Changed real quick into something slightly less business casual and slightly more Broadway fabulous and ran to catch a train. Hoofed 11 blocks up to 45th and got there just around 7:45.

Some of you might remember that this isn't the first time Matt has called and asked if I wanted to be his +1. I went to a wedding with him last summer which was incredibly enjoyable and when he found out that he had a pair of tickets instead of just one I was the first person he called to see if I could fill the seat.

So I get to the Schoenfeld and Matt's standing there with his friend Diana and since she's the Producer's Assistant and it's Opening Night she's running around trying to find all the VIPs to make sure they get their tickets and head into the private entrance.

We're standing there chatting with her when she waves her hand over my head and shouts:
Mr Grey! I have your ticket!
Who else strolls up but Joel Grey.

Seriously, walked right up to us.

Now I am not familiar with the full body of his work, nor could I remember his name (I am the WORST with names) but I knew that face and I knew he was a tremendous actor. I know he's been in things like Cabaret and the Wizard of Oz but me personally, I'm more familiar with his cameos on shows like Buffy or as Arvin Clone on Alias.

He seemed a very polite old man.

We took our seats and Matt searched the audience for other names, mentioning that Taye Diggs was supposed to be there but Adina was not. To which I replied, "It's okay I know all her solos."

Mr Diggs turned up in the aisle looking dapper as ever in a fedora.

The show was HILARIOUS. The end was a little bittersweet but the two men played off each other beautifully. I can't begin to describe what the show in essence was about, so here is the little description of it from BroadwayWorld:
Describing life in the footlights from an actor's point of view, A Life in the Theatre focuses on the relationship between two thespians: Robert, an older, experienced performer; and John, a relative newcomer. Though Robert's guidance is welcomed by John at first, as the play progresses Robert falters as an actor and mentor, and John emerges as a mature actor. Mamet was inspired to write A Life in the Theatre by what he had observed backstage as well as by his own experiences in his early career as an actor.
Really a wonderful production. I highly recommend it if you've ever been involved in theater or if you're even just interested in theater.

Afterward Matt had passes to the after party. We meandered around outside the theater while I double checked the train schedule and I almost got knocked over by a photographer. When I looked up I didn't see anyone around but then Matt turned to me and said, "I was just three feet away from Angela Lansbury."

I refrained from shouting out, "Loved you in Penzance!" and we walked back up 8th towards Penn. Unfortunately I would have missed the drunk train if I had gone to the after party.

You see, there's this break in train service from about 11:00pm to 2:00am and if you miss that last train out of the City then you're stuck sitting in Penn Station for HOURS. Not something I wanted to do so I skipped the after party. I'm sure Matty had a wonderful time hob nobbing, maybe he even got a photo of Patrick Stewart for me!

(Image borrowed from BroadwayWorld.com)

0 comments:

 
blog design by suckmylolly.com