Monday, April 12, 2010

Manjoyment Monday: *swoon*

When I have an arduous task in front of me like cleaning my room, packing my life away to move, or even just constructing, stamping or addressing 150 some-odd invitations, I like to put on something to watch that I know will keep my attention but I've seen so many times it doesn't matter if I miss something.

I also tend to do this when I'm sick. But I reserve Titanic for when I am sick because I can fall asleep, wake up two hours later, and the boat is STILL sinking.

Anyway.

Last week I cleaned my room. I still need to clean it again (I hate this vicious cycle), but then I also had to make all of Laura's shower invites too. I decided that it was time to watch all three of the extended edition of the Lord of the Rings.

I've mentioned before how sexy I find some of the actors they found to portray our favorite characters of Middle Earth, but I completely forgot about David Wenham until The Two Towers disc got popped into my DVD player.

Honestly, I'm pretty sure it's the long wavy hair that does it for me for him in LOTR. I've seen him in other movies (Van Helsing, 300, and wha-wha-WHAT?! he played Audrey in Moulin Rogue?!) and it just wasn't the same.

Seriously, there's something about the way he plays Faramir that is so endearing. If you haven't seen the trilogy I recommend it highly. It just came out on Blu-Ray too! How exciting. I might get it for my dad for his birthday.

I bought the trilogy when I heard they were making the movies. And began reading them casually here and there. Tolkien's writing is difficult for me. I get tripped up with wordy writers like Jane Austin and it seems like work to get through the words into the actual meat of the story.

It probably didn't help that I started reading the Fellowship when I worked at the beach. Basically I would read a few sentences and then see a seagull, read the same few sentences, get distracted by the waves, and wind up reading a total of two pages over the course of my whole shift.

Also, when I saw the movie the one thing that really confused me was Arwen and Aragorn's story line. I really wanted to get to that part of the books so I could better understand it and while I was reading one of my friends told me that it wasn't in the books.

What?! Something so crucial to the story-line wasn't in the book? How could they have come up with something like that on their own just to use in the movie?

Stupidly I believed him. I put my books aside and waited for another urge to tear through Tolkien, which never really came. BUT! Since I'm one of those people I happen to watch the Appendix at the end of the movies and part of the Return of the King's Appendix is about Tolkien and how he came up with some of the story lines and they spoke about Arwen and Aragorn's relationship and I was like wtf?!

Apparently my moronic friend never read the appendixes at the end of the novels. Who wouldn't read every last page of a classic like that? Now I suppose I'll have to legit sit down and read all of them. In the meantime I'm still trying to get through my Leatherbound Classics which is harder than I originally anticipated and I don't know how I'll get through them all before my 1001 is up!


Yes, he's cute. But I prefer the long flowing hair.

0 comments:

 
blog design by suckmylolly.com