Sunday, February 7, 2010

Wilton Course 1

Friday was our first Class of Wilton's Cake Decorating Course 1. It was exciting even though all we did was get an introduction from our instructor and watch her assemble, frost and decorate a cake.

I can't wait to decorate cakes and learn how to make flowers and stuff. I mean any skills I pick up will definitely make any cake I decorate in the future much better than the last one I made.

I guess what I didn't realize about this class is that we have to bake cakes and bring them to class with us to decorate. I mean, obviously what else would we be doing? But the thought escaped me at first and when Julibean and I decided it would be a good idea to bake ALL of our cakes at once and put them in the freezer (as suggested by our instructor) and mix ALL of our frosting at once and put it into smaller containers to take to class with us...I didn't think it would be such a daunting task.

I was so wrong! So.very.wrong.

Julibean and I literally spent the entire length of the Super Bowl (plus a few hours ahead of and after) baking cakes and trying to mix frosting. When Wilton says stiff frosting, they mean stiff frosting. It almost burned out our stand up mixer, it was scary.

But we'll frosting and constructing a cake to bring to class next Friday. We're decorating the top with a rainbow of piped icing and learning how to make borders. I figured since it'll be a rainbow on the outside it should be one on the inside too and made funfetti cake. They didn't have any actual funfetti cake mix at the store so I made white cake and threw some sprinkles in to the mix.

Basically I'm just super excited to learn these new skills and everyone who I've mentioned this course to seems just as excited for me. Plus I told everyone in the office I'll be bringing in random cakes each Monday to work so they're excited about that too.

0 comments:

 
blog design by suckmylolly.com