Friday, February 12, 2010

Cue Brass Instrumental Music

BAAAAAAA BAAAAA BA DAA DAA DAA DAA BAA BUH BA DA BUH DA DUH DUH DAAA BUH DA DUH DUH DAAA (DA DUM DUM DUM.)

It's finally here. *squee*

The 2010 Olympic Winter Games begin TONIGHT.

I love the parade of nations and I cannot wait to watch what Vancouver has in store for the Opening Ceremony tonight. I mean the Bejing Opening Ceremony was intense and I can still remember how acrobatically cool the Sydney Ceremony was too. I can hardly contain myself, is it time to hunker down in front of NBC in my poang yet?

Really cool things:

The medals are incredible. I mean just look at them! They each have a close-up of a Raven Totem. I find this exciting for a few reasons. The Stanley Totem Park is a beautiful area in Vancouver. We stopped by last February when we were in Seattle visiting my brother and the place is just awe inspiring. I'm glad that they are pulling so much of the Olympic art from the natives.

Coincidentally when my parents took their 25th Wedding Anniversary trip to Alaska and Canada for three weeks, they returned with a beautiful carved Raven Totem necklace for me. Maybe I'll wear it the rest of the time the Olympic and Paraolympic games are underway to show my support. It's a little less in your face than my Quatchi pins are but in the spirit of support of the games and my country I'll don my Raven.

Seriously, how cool are these medals? I love the lines of the medal itself and apparently they are all made of reclaimed gold, silver and bronze from computer motherboards. How nifty is that?!

What I love most about the Vancouver Games is probably how focused they are on being more green and nurturing towards the environment. I mean even all of the mascots have a specific greener more environmentally-conscious mantra. I think this is a wonderful way to incorporate nature into the Olympic Games.

Every year I also look forward to what Ralph Lauren has to say about the Olympic Garb. This year is beautiful. Ralph Lauren always delivers a clean crisp look without going overboard on the stars and stripes.

I thoroughly enjoyed the hats and blazers from the 2008 Summer Olympics and these hats are equally fabulous.

I adore the sweaters and how they are reminiscent of antarctic explorer's sweaters - you know the kind Shackleton might have worn.

The Nike podium outfits/jackets are nice too, not too fluffy, but fitted enough to show off some Olympic bods.

Basically I'm ready! And I'm excited to get to Vancouver later this month!!!



All images borrowed from fastcompany.com.

0 comments:

 
blog design by suckmylolly.com