Wednesday, February 17, 2010

The King of all Cakes

Whilst Julibean was in Baltimore this weekend she collected our friend Morgan from Philly on her way back home. I haven't seen Morgan for an extended period of time in a few months now so it's wonderful to have her staying with us for a few days.

I certainly miss all of my the PC Kids and everyone in the a cappella community that we had at school and Morgs is no exception. We've pretty much been friends ever since she joined the group freshman year and she's just such a unique and incredibly hilarious person and I love her dearly.

Last night when I got home to Morgan and Julibean we decided (unanimously) that since it was Fat Tuesday we were going to go out to dinner and gorge ourselves on delicious food. Morgan wanted to know if there was anywhere we could get a King Cake and neither me nor my sister had any idea what she was talking about.

Apparently King Cakes are a big tradition for Fat Tuesday especially in New Orleans. Well I've only been to Nawlins once and I was a bouncing baby so obviously I have no idea what this tradition entails.

Basically it's a simple round cake (sometimes filled with cheese or praline) and iced with granulated sugar in the Mardi Gras colors. There is usually a trinket baked into the cake (from what I've read usually a baby Jesus figurine) and whoever gets the piece with the sweet delectable baby Jesus brings the King Cake to the next party.

We never did find a King Cake yesterday but we did go to Outback and cheer polar bears over beer and deliciously calorie dense foods. Then we came home and ate some ice cream and watched the Olympics.

The King Cake looks delicious and I think it's a nice tradition. Julianne and I have decided we will offer King Cakes at our bakery when we eventually open it.

And Morgan will be the official cupcake froster. And will be required to wear flippers while doing so.

0 comments:

 
blog design by suckmylolly.com