Thursday, December 24, 2009

One more Sleep till Christmas

Back when I was a sophomore in college I was going through a rough time. Everything just seemed to not be going well.

I had broken up with my first boyfriend, the second attempt at a relationship with another guy turned into an utter failure, as did a third, and a fourth, and plans to move off campus with some friends fell through. Not to mention my mother thought that it would be a great time to tell me Niederstein's had closed and they were tearing it down.

Niederstein's had been a huge part of my childhood. Every important event, an anniversary, a birthday, even a christening, we'd all go to Niederstein's. I'd sit there with my mom's father Poppy and he'd tell me all these wonderful stories about how Niederstein's used to be a stable house and how much he loved the history of places like that.

So when my mother off the cuff mentioned that it was gone, it added onto the turmoil I was already suffering through, I just broke down and cried myself to sleep. It was just one of those places that I could vividly remember Poppy in and now that he's gone there were certain things I was hanging onto and losing Niederstien's was like loosing him all over again.

I vaguely remember telling Jason all about this. At the time we were close friends but didn't spend much time hanging out (it was more of an online friendship), but I felt like I could tell him anything. He was on his way out - running off to class or something - but he sent me a file before he left.

It was a full length version of the Muppet Christmas Carol. I'm sure at some point over the months our friendship had blossomed I had mentioned to him how whenever I'm feeling horrible, watching the Muppet Christmas Carol always made me feel so much better. So he had gone out of his way to download it and send it to me so I could sit in bed, mope a little, watch the Muppets, and feel better about the world.

It worked. I got over everything and swore off men for the rest of the year. Nix on Dicks till 2006 became my own little mantra and I was so much happier about life. It was kind of like a turning point, in a bizarre way. When January rolled around and I lifted my ban on men, I realized how awesome Jason was and the rest is history.

So for all of you out there who are missing someone this Christmas, whether they be across the country or gone forever, I hope adding a little Muppet to your day can help you smile.



After all, there's only one more sleep till Christmas!

0 comments:

 
blog design by suckmylolly.com