Wednesday, November 3, 2010

WW: Dress hunting, not a spectator's sport

So on Saturday we hopped on the train and ventured into the City. It was nice to spend some quality time with the girls. Julianne was up from the MD with Nancy her future mother in law, and Jaclyn was out and about in her newly purchased maternity jeans.

Can I just go off on a tangent here and say that I'm super excited for this baby? We find out if they are having a boy or a girl around Thanksgiving! And Jaclyn looks fabulous, I'm a little peeved at how good she looks with her little baby bump.

Anyway...

I have to say that originally I was super excited to go to Kleinfelds and get the whole wedding dress shopping experience and try on some Stephanie James dresses but as the date approached I was dreading it more and more.

Let me make myself clear. I am in no way dreading being married, I love my fiance and can't wait to have a life and a home and a family with him. I am however, starting to stress over the wedding itself and the search for my dress has only added onto that stress.

So here we are standing in the lobby of Kleinfelds waiting for Keasha to come get us for my appointment and the whole place is buzzing with activity. The store itself is pretty grandiose and it's an impressive space for the city.

Keasha and her assistant Gabrielle (maybe Gabriella-I'm awful with names) bring us back to the dressing room and we chat about the important things like my budget and what I want and what I'm looking for and we hit the ground running.

I tried on the Josephine dress and it was okay but not my favorite. I tried on something that looked like a cross between the Tame Fifi and the Olivia dress. Mostly they were okay but didn't feel very special. The Ms Kennedy dress looked fantastic on me I just wasn't thrilled with the horizontal stripes in the fabric. They're very pretty but don't look so great on me.

For my mother I tried on a very tight fitting very ornate dress. It looked amazing on me. That I'll admit, but it just wasn't "me" and I couldn't move so much in it. Forget trying to sit down.

My biggest let down was the fact that they didn't have the Audrey dress in the store. Here's where I was baffled. They had it in their store window and when I asked about it they looked at me like I was crazy. I explained that I didn't call ahead because I had seen it in the window and assumed that if it was in the display that it was available to try on in the store. Finally when I described it as the dress with the polka dots and the blue tulle they figure it out.

They went down to see if it was still around and of course it wasn't. Basically I was hugely disappointed in the whole experience. Keasha was awesome, like she's just as hilarious and fun and sweet as she is on TV. Randy is fabulous and a hell of a lot skinnier than he looks on TV, and everyone was very helpful. I guess I just had these huge expectations and nothing worked out the way I had hoped.

It was an exhausting day and right after my appointment we flew right into Julibean's and boy was that even more exhausting.

I've said it before and I'll say it again though, my mother and I might never agree on what a "wedding dress" should look like. To me my thought is, if I wear it on my wedding day, it's a wedding dress. To my mother she feels it must be something special or ornate or detailed.

We'll continue to knock heads over this I believe.

0 comments:

 
blog design by suckmylolly.com