Thursday, March 4, 2010

Slightly Alive

Sorry for the lack of posting. I have lots of really cool images of Seattle and Vancouver to share with everyone and whatnot but I came home with the worst case of strep throat I have ever had.

Strep throat and I go way back. Each of us had what I like to call a "sickness of choice" while we were growing up except Dan. Dan was always really healthy up until college and then he got it all at once but let's get back to my tonsils.

Julibean's sickness of choice was always an ear infection. She had so many that eventually she got tubes put in her ears and it just continued on from there.

Since I was a child my sickness of choice was strep. In fact, I have terrifyingly large tonsils. I wish I were making that up. The first time my pediatrician looked down my throat he jumped back, and that was on a healthy day. So when I get strep or even a little sore throat, I am miserable.

This was the be all end all cases of strep. My father has never seen my tonsils that bad. I went to the doctor and he told me they were hemorrhagic...yeah...how disgusting is that? My tonsils were not only inflamed, they were bleeding.

So basically I've spent all my time since we landed Monday in bed. Lots of antibiotics, lots of ice, lots of gatorade...yeah...this is the life.

Monday and Tuesday I ate nothing but a frosty from Wendy's and then got sick so it didn't really matter that I had eaten it.

Yesterday and today I've managed (so far) to drink water, Gatorade and have eaten some Ritz crackers.

Downside to all of this is I've missed pretty much a full week of work now in addition to the time I took off to go to Seattle/Vancouver. Luckily my manager is awesome and told me to stay home today. I'm thinking I'll be able to get to work tomorrow. I don't want to push myself too hard but I think I'll be well enough to get in.

Up side to all of this is since I've been too sick to eat anything at all I've lost 7lbs. I know once I start actually eating again it'll level out but geeze, if only I could lose 7lbs in a week. It'd be nice, but so, so unhealthy.

2 comments:

Ashley said...

how is it you still have your tonsils?

mdj1281 said...

I was the same way, always strep throat or a sinus infection monthly like clockwork. I had my adenoids removed last Sept. and haven't been sick since (knock on wood). My tonsils however were removed when I was 6 because I had strep too often and became immune to amox.

Go to an EN&T and get a T&A, best thing I ever did. Pain will be like 3 days and you'll be looped from the general, small chance of re-growth but you'll be much happier!

 
blog design by suckmylolly.com