Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Virginia is for Lovers

The whirlwind of a weekend visiting Jason down in Newport News, VA started with a flight on the tiniest plane I've ever been on. It was roughly a 50-passenger commuter plane and it was kind of freaky.

I'm not afraid of flying, I know accidents happen but I trust the industry and despite the fact the "Put together in 5 minutes" video I saw at the Boeing Plant really freaked me out I have utter faith that I'll land at my destination safely. But honestly...tiny planes scare me! That being said, I made it to Virginia and got the grand tour of tunnel traffic.

It was awful.

It makes traffic on the Belt look like the Indy500. We got all of 2 miles in about an hour. I wanted to cry. It was only after we were sitting in traffic for an hour and a half that Jason mentions there is apparently an airport 10 minutes from his apartment I could have flown into instead of Norfolk. Way to miss the boat on that one sweetie.

After an eternity we got to Jason's new apartment and it was a lot nicer than I thought it would be. His mom helped him decorate a little and found some amazing deals on furniture ($6 for a dining room table set?) so at least the only bare room was the guest bedroom.

The living room is pretty big and there is a nice balcony where Jason pulls his rocker out and yells at the kids below to "Get off his lawn!"

The community the apartment complex in is also nice and Jason's only 15 minutes from work now, which is a vast improvement over the 45 minute to one hour commute he made when living with his friend Brian in Norfolk.

We spent the weekend enjoying ourselves. Hung out with Brian and watched movies and then I let the boys play some video games. Did a little shopping for some additional things Jason didn't have in his apartment. Drove over to Virginia Beach and played pirate mini-golf and walked the boardwalk.

It was nice.

We sat down in some shade beneath an apartment building off the beach and listened to a really great band playing at a nearby outdoor bar. I had to do a double take at the band because they sounded almost exactly like a The Switch and were even doing half of the same songs. But alas, it was not the people I know but the band was good and created a nice soundtrack for Jason and I to people watch to.

My time in Virginia was short-lived, I dislike that Jason is so far away but thems the breaks for now. Long weekends will have to do until something more permanent is arranged.

0 comments:

 
blog design by suckmylolly.com