Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Geese and Houses...

On Sunday after our exciting excursion to Hunter Mountain, Chrissy gave us instructions to Kyle's house...he lives in the middle of nowhere and Chrissy isn't known for her sense of direction.

As I overheard Chrissy giving Laura directions over the phone I couldn't help but imagine that we were going to wind up in the middle of the woods out of gas, wondering who we would eat first.

My worst fears were confirmed when I heard Chrissy say, "Take a right on Biting Road...I think that's what it's called..." In fact, it was not, but in the long run that wasn't our biggest problem. Our biggest problem was finding Chrissy's obscure landmarks like the Geese Crossing sign you see at right.

I've never seen a Geese Crossing sign before in my life! It's always a duck crossing sign with a pictogram of a bird, never a specific sign with words written out warning you about the geese!

Anyway, we finally made it to Kyle's and it was well worth it. His house is beautiful. I should have taken more photos, but I wasn't sure if Kyle would understand my need to document everything especially since it was his home and we had just met.

Just to set the scene, the house was an old farm house. Barely two stories, with a gorgeous loft master bedroom at the front of the house where you could wake up and look out the window and see the LAKE! I love lakes...there's something so serene about them and they just make me happy. An extension was put on the house adding another bathroom, a kitchen/hallway, and two bedrooms upstairs. All of which are amazing.

Then Kyle's parents, who apparently owned one of the local breweries, added another extension and a wrap around porch (complete with hot tub) with the money they made when they sold the family brewery.

Now I know this is a horrible photo, but you can see some of the charm of the house. It's painted an old red barn-esque color, right behind Chris on the large porch outside those sliding doors is the hot tub and a few picnic tables and places to sit.

I even love the blue stain glass art. Gorgeous! There's just something so special about a house that creaks no matter where you step, that has no matching furniture, and that has old school meat grinders attached to every flat surface in the kitchen.

My dream house is now a mix between Kyle's hodgepodge of a farm house and the beautiful Victorian house in the movie Practical Magic.

And most fantastic of all was Chadwick, the family's English Sheepdog who couldn't find nacho dip on the table even when it was pointed out to him.
What a good boy!

0 comments:

 
blog design by suckmylolly.com