Wednesday, September 8, 2010

WW: Ebb and Flow

I realize this whole getting married thing is going to be an adventure. What I didn't realize is that it's also going to be a long process in learning exactly how to: not only live together, but how to work as a team as well. Obviously I have no doubt we'll be able to do this. Ten, maybe even five years down the line we'll be one well oiled married machine and that'll be a wonderful day.

But in the meantime, we're still learning more and more about each other's habits and other little quirks...it's been...interesting...

This past weekend I unloaded three crates, one big box, and one enormous rubbermaid into Jason's apartment in Virginia, including various other items such as appliances, exercise equipment, and bar-ware. I'm not moving in yet, it'll be a few months before that happens but I wanted to use the long weekend to take a drive down and bring some things that were more fragile and needed more attention in the move OR were useful to Jason now instead of later when I move in.

Jason wasn't really interested in anything I brought down to make his life easier. I mean I didn't expect him to do a little dance out of sheer excitement over a few pots and pans, but I didn't expect the disinterest in it either.

Apparently Jason wants to rip the bandaid off in one swift pull.

Here I thought he'd rather me move in slowly in phases so he could get use to small changes over time but I couldn't have been more wrong. Jason wants a shock to his system. A big one.

He'd rather one day have his mancave all to himself and the next have me and all my possessions there at once.

Now that I understand that I think it'll be much easier in the future.

We did a little browsing for some other furniture but I think the china cabinet/buffet that I want to get will get tossed onto the back burner for now. So for now the only focus I have is buying the couch we picked out last year at Bob's and making sure it fits through the door.

Other than the couch I think the only other furniture we'll need are desks for the guest room/office and some bookshelves. Doesn't excite me that the closest Ikea is almost four hours away. I can't remember the last time I bought something from Ikea and didn't have to go back at least twice for spare parts or to replace a piece that was damaged.

In the coming months I think I'll frequent the GoodWill and Salvation Army around town. One of our GoodWill has an amazing furniture collection so if I can find bookshelves for $10 there then I'll be super happy with that. I'm all for re-purposing and saving some cash. Not really looking forward to the fact the Uhaul will probably be $600 to rent. Ick. Too bad we really need it to move couches.

0 comments:

 
blog design by suckmylolly.com