Saturday, June 6, 2009

Review: Key West Bed & Breakfast

I love the Keys. One day I plan on retiring to a small cabana somewhere in Key West and live out the remainder of my life as a Conch. So when we started planning this whole Birthday-excursion, I decided it would be the perfect time to pop Jason's Key West cherry.

When I travel down to the Keys with my parents, we typically stay in the Southernmost Collection (which is always gorgeous). This time, since it was just Jason and I, and since we wanted something more homey than a resort, I searched around for an alternative.
Jason and I on the Conch Tour Train, a must do if you're a tourist in Key West

I'm not sure how I came across the website for the Key West Bed & Breakfast (aka the Popular House), but I certainly am glad I did. We booked it months before we figured out the rest of our plans for the week and I was definitely excited about spending our two nights in a B&B.

We were greeted by a very friendly man (I believe his name was Richard but I could be completely wrong, it might have been Dave) and he showed us around and helped us to our room.

Since Jason was still recovering from his regrettable salmon interlude, he went to lay down and I explored the house. The room we were staying in, Mo's Room, was cozy. There was enough space to move around, but it wasn't a huge room and we shared two bathrooms with the rest of the guests on the floor. Both bathrooms were immaculate. The first one was gorgeous and I have to admit if it had a claw-footed bathtub in the corner, it would have been my perfect bathroom. The second bathroom was very nice, but the shower could use some updating. It reminded me of a dorm shower. It was clean, just extremely ordinary.
The 2nd floor porch. I loved the hammock!
(The black shudders in the left of this picture were actually our room's windows.)

As Jason napped away I settled myself into the hammock on the porch with a book I borrowed from the little collection in the living room. Can we say relaxing?

The next morning we enjoyed the best part of staying at a B&B...the breakfast. There were fresh baked breads, ripe fruit, bagels & schmear, and an old fashion juicer with a huge basket of oranges. Jason had a lot of fun squeezing his supremely fresh OJ.
It was quite a beautiful spread!

I definitely enjoyed gorging myself on the melons and pineapple aplenty. One morning we sat in the kitchen and ate, the other morning we sat out in the garden and had a little friend visit us.

Goo!

This little guy's name is Goo! He was pretty much the cutest little dog I've ever seen, and very friendly. He belongs to the woman who owns the house. I want to say her name is Joan (I apologize I am the worst with names). We chatted with Joan(?) for a bit one morning and I could tell right away she was from New England, so that got us talking even more about the northeast and how she wound up down in the Keys.

1st floor porch

All in all I thought the Popular House was a wonderful place to stay. I was definitely curious as to what the other rooms in the house looked like, but since we didn't know any of the other guests we didn't find out.

The staff is extremely friendly and very helpful. They gave us maps and directions and suggested places to go, things to see, and where to eat. Since I'd already been to Key West many times, I found many of their suggestions on par with my experiences. They know the island, they know the community, and they are wonderful people!

Thanks for a relaxing time!

0 comments:

 
blog design by suckmylolly.com