Friday, June 25, 2010

c25k: Once more with feeling!

So I somehow was quite awake this morning when my alarm went off at 4:51am. And that meant I went to the gym without complaint...to myself...

It's been awhile since I've actually gotten my butt to the gym. Mostly I haven't been feeling up to it, but also every time I think, Oh now's a perfect time to go! Either all of a sudden my stomach feels like it's going to explode or something else comes up.

Also, I was on the hunt for new running sneakers for the better part of a month. It started awhile back while I was in Virginia. I knew the Nike+ sneakers I wanted to try on were on sale at Foot Locker so I went with Jason. Sadly, they didn't have my size, but I could tell that the sneaker fit so well and was prefect.

Then, I doubted myself and ordered a few different pair from New Balance. My last pair of running sneakers that I went to a running store and got fitted for were New Balance 1062s. They don't make them anymore and the 1064s that replaced them have the arch in the wrong place for my foot. All of those sneakers went back.

Then I went over to Zappos and ordered, idk, 5 more pair of sneakers. My Dad thought it was hilarious how I ran from the bathroom in the den all the way to the front door and back in each pair a few times. Apparently when they first moved into the house 25 years ago my brother did the same thing...running laps through the empty house because he'd never had so much ROOM to move around it.

Low and behold, I found my sneakers! Nike+ Voomero4. They are incredible. I wore them to the gym once or twice but at the time I hadn't gotten on the treadmill, just did some time on the elliptical instead. These are in fact the sneakers I originally tried on at the Foot Locker and they didn't have my size. I should have gone with my gut but I wanted to try on all my options first.

Today I ran in them for the first time and they are incredible! Usually I get very tired very fast. I know I'm not a conditioned athlete, but I'll get there someday. Typically I get exhausted after the first two intervals on the c25k routine, today I felt pretty amazing throughout the entire run!

I didn't get shinsplints either! Which is a big deal in my world. I am horribly afflicted with shinsplints sometimes and it causes me to lose a lot of momentum and I have to change my stride to compensate for the pain.
Behold! My Holy Grail of running sneakers!

I might just buy a second pair to have on hand. Eventually I'll also invest in a Nike+ to put into the little pouch in the shoe's foot-bed.

Now for the c25k rundown:
  • I did a little over a 5minute warm up at 3.0 (20 minute mile speed).
  • I walked my intervals at 3.0 as well.
  • I jogged my intervals at 5.0 (12 minute mile speed) however I think next time I'll bump it up to at least 5.3. I felt like I was running in slow motion and if I raise it just slightly I'll probably be able to extend my legs into a more comfortable fuller stride.
  • I did 1.75 miles (just shy of half a 5k) in 29 minutes. (Including the warm up and cool down).
  • Still using Kari's c25k mix. Somehow it never gets old.
Felt fantastic during the run, as I mentioned before: no shinsplints, a little tightness in my calf and groin but that worked itself right out when I stretched afterward.

I feel fantastic. Incredible. Probably the best I've ever felt after a running workout. I think I'll hit the gym again tomorrow and do the same workout with a slightly altered jogging pace and see how I feel.

Laura's wedding is in exactly 7 days. Obviously I don't expect to suddenly drop 10lbs but maybe 2lbs would be acceptable :)

0 comments:

 
blog design by suckmylolly.com