Wednesday, February 11, 2009

A Win Well Deserved

I have a confession to make. I LOVE to watch Dog Shows. Last night I caught part of the Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show, the Sporting Group to be exact. I was a little upset to find that I had missed the Terrier Group because I love to coo over my cherished Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier, but I'm so glad that I caught the part I did. Out come all the beautiful Sporting Dogs, Labs, Retrievers, Spaniels, all of them gorgeous and fast.

Although I am a huge fan, I typically don't specifically root for a certain dog. But last night, I fell in love. I mean no offense but I have never enjoyed Spaniels. A girl I was friends with as a child had a few and they were slightly terrifying to me. They had something called Spaniel Rage and they were constantly fighting with each other and I was not used to seeing that sort of animalistic mentality. Since then Spaniels were not my cup of tea and I barely paid attention to the judging of Spaniel after Spaniel. But then, oh, there he was! He was cute and low to the ground and the announcer described him as somewhat slow but useful in high brush. I found myself squealing with delight as the Sussex Spaniel aptly named Stump plodded across the arena.

There was just something about Stump. Perhaps the way he slowly trotted as opposed to the other Sporting Group Dogs which almost ran. Maybe it was his little nubbin of a tail that constantly wagged to and fro. Whatever it was, I knew I wanted him to win. Plus, he had just come out of retirement, and who doesn't love it when an old dog can show up a puppy?

I was too tired to watch the last bit of the show last night (I've had a cold) but this morning on the radio I heard Stump had won! I literally clapped my hands in excitement. Congratulations Stump!

I can't wait to get a puppy. I have specific dog needs however, and when I chose my dog it must have hair. Because I can't stand fur everywhere and I also have lots of allergic people in my life that wouldn't be able to come visit me. I suppose when I'm an old lady and my husband has died (you know because us women live longer) I'll get a Sussex Spaniel. By then the Sussex's personality will match my own old lumbering one. And by then I'll be so old I won't care about the fur all over my couch.

(Stump photo from reuters.com)

0 comments:

 
blog design by suckmylolly.com